24/06/2018 at 3:49 pm #2588
If you’re planning a cruise to the Kimberley in 2019, use this topic to post a brief outline of your plans to meet up with other vessels, cruise in company, ask questions, get info etc.
Hope to see you out there.
An update since I posted the above. Our new boat “R&R” is now based in Darwin and we plan to sail the KC twice this year. (2019) First trip to the East Kimberley around Easter for a few weeks.
Second trip to the middle and west Kimberley in late June to attend the Annual Beach Party on 4th July in the Palm Island area, then onto Yampi Sound area before making our way slowly back to Darwin over about 6-8 weeks.
14/07/2018 at 11:09 am #2597
I’m a very definite maybe……… well maybe just a maybe. In case it’s not apparent I’m not good at setting rigid plans, I’d rather have general idea and let things work themselves out but the Kimberly is the focus of the trip.
Depending on work and how fast we travel we will leave from Brisbane April-ish, I’d like to have a good look around, I expect we will probably make Darwin and leave it there for the wet then come back in 2020 and continue a slow trip anticlockwise, lots of time in the Kimberly and a run out to Rowley Shoals.
17/07/2018 at 3:15 am #2600
Hi, we are planning to leave Fremantle May 2019 and make our way North to spend 2~3 months in the Kimberley. May push on to Darwin for the wet or try west to east crossing to Queensland.
will update as plans become firmer…..Dave & Fonny
23/07/2018 at 1:26 pm #2605
From Perth – We are planning to leave either Carnarvon or Exmouth around the 1st of May 2019 making our way North, and probably departing Broome around the end of May, spending the majority of time in the Kimberley and planning to be in Darwin around September 2019.
Will also update as plans become firmer….. Craig & Putu
Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 – Catamaran
- This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Sirocco.
03/08/2018 at 8:42 pm #2612
<li style=”text-align: right;”>Hi we are planning our first trip north to Kimberley’s 2019 slowly making our way north . Leaving about mid march for some time at Abrolhos ,shark bay ,Ningaloo etc and hopefully in Broome late June and Darwin October .Boat will stay there until heading east to FNQ when safe to do so 2020.
Exact dates will be known early 2019 .Paul &Rose SV Arabella 45 leopard .
05/08/2018 at 9:45 am #2613
We’re a 6.5m trailer boat so not exactly “saling” – but I hope you will still talk to us regardless 😉 We’re thinking we’ll be launching from Derby around 24th of June and returning on about 15th July. This will be our first time on the water in the area. Hope to make it as far north as the Sale river.
There will be two boat – ours, “Skull Drag’n” and another boat “Bundy Runner”.
Party will be 4 adults and 2 kids (14 & 12).
19/08/2018 at 9:11 am #2633
Murray & MarilynParticipant
We have a tentative plan to undertake our 5th Kimberley visit in 2019 from Airlie Beach Central Qld in our Nordhavn 57 M.V. COMMANDER. Nordhavns are displacement power boats so we will average about 8 knots. At this moment just Marilyn and myself on board and our two dogs. We will generally day sail from Airlie to the top of Cape York then continuous run to Gove. Weather will influence our travel time as our boating is for pleasure not an endurance trial. There are a few boats on the east coast that have expressed a desire to cruise with us but nothing firm as yet. We would like to return to Airlie late 2019 – weather permitting. I sincerely trust the numerous shore side fires ( supposedly controlled burn offs) have ended since during our last Kimberley visit in Commander in 2015 the offshore smoke right across the top end and north of JGB was intolerable.
08/06/2019 at 10:32 am #3013
Hi Murray and Marilyn, we are also planning to get to the Kimberleys in 2019, if not in 2020. We are travelling relatively slowly and are currently in Mourilyan Harbour waiting for the weather to change. We anticipate being in Nhulunbuy by early to mid July. Whether we get further than Darwin depends on our experience in the Torres Strait (we’re happy to stop whenever we want). We may leave The Mana (40 ft Beneteau) in Darwin and return next year.
Where are you now? You may have already taken off?
Marina and Mike
01/10/2018 at 5:51 pm #2649
Hi any body know of an insurance company that covers you in cyclone season north of 26 parallel
Paul Rose Arabella
08/10/2018 at 9:17 am #2650
Try QBE and Proteus Marine. If you are heading to the NT, they are probably your only choices, unless your vessel is commercial.
Have you tried talking to your existing insurer? They may extend your cover for a limited time if you are returning south of the 26th.
04/04/2019 at 2:57 pm #2948
We are based in Cullen Bay Marina, Darwin and are insured for Cyclone with Nautilus Marine
27/11/2018 at 1:30 pm #2661
Planning our First Time Kimberley trip. Ketch, cutter rigged steel Mauritius 43 drawing 1.8m. Two of us plus the dog.
Roughly leaving Perth in April 2019 and arriving in southern Queensland before December 2019. Like Paul & Rose on Arabella we are planning on spending some time in Abrolhos, Shark Bay, Ningaloo, Montebello Is on the way up.
Thank you everyone for your patience as I am sure we will have a 100 questions.
22/01/2019 at 4:13 pm #2816
2 Trailer boats 7.2 Preston Craft and 7.5 Oceanic, heading to derby on our first Kimberley Adventure.Arriving in Derby about the 23rd/ 24th July. Spending 3 weeks on the water and hopefully get as far as Doubtful Bay. We Would love as much information on safe anchorages and things to see and do.
23/01/2019 at 4:50 pm #2819
Hi Glen, If you don’t already have it, download Edition 5 of the West Australian Cruising Guide. and print out the pages for that area of the Kimberley. Also contact the guys at Mary Island Fishing Club in Derby – they have heaps of trailer boat experience in the area you are leaving from and heading to. Some are KCCYC members. I can also put you in touch with one of our members in Broome who regularly heads up to that area.
23/01/2019 at 7:59 pm #2821
Thank you for the the reply , much appreciated, things are starting to get real, feeling excited to soon experience what a lot of you have experienced.
No I don’t have edition 5 of the Western Australia Cruising Guide, so I will download to start with.
Will follow up on the Mary Island Fishing Club.
Thank you I will stay in contact for the details of the Broome member as all knowledgeable information will make our trip much more enjoyable and stress free.
22/01/2019 at 5:17 pm #2818
We completed the first half of our maiden Kimberley Voyage in 2018 – we left Darwin on 01 May and arrived in Exmouth on 10 September. We had a wonderful 4+ months enjoying the magic of the Kimberley – my husband, myself and our two pet chooks we got for the voyage!
We are now spending time in Exmouth (working unfortunately) getting ready to head back to Darwin in the cruising season of 2020. We look forward to catching up with the Northbound travellers as they pass through Exmouth.
Safe Travels All
Michelle, Dan and Spicks & Specks
28/01/2019 at 1:24 pm #2831
Myself and a mate are planning our first trip up the Kimberly Coast leaving from Broome or Derby from May 1 till May 28.
We havent been further North than Broome in the past and would welcome any advice regrading the trip. Fuel ( petrol ) , spots to visit , tides , route etc.
We would also consider buddying up with another boat if the opportunity is there .
We have planned on the trip taking 2 weeks Max and have the whole of May to adjust dates.
29/01/2019 at 11:21 am #2832
Hi Dave, Looks like you tried to upload a photo, but the file size was too big. Max size is 512KB.
Have a look at my above reply to Glen on 23 Jan for some info on the area you are heading into. I suggest Derby is the best launching place. The coast between Broome and Cape Leveque is mainly beach and you’ll burn precious fuel to get to the start of the best places, which is the north east coast of King Sound.
04/02/2019 at 3:26 pm #2836
Hi, We are continuing our lap of Australia planning on being back in Freo for Xmas 2019. Will start heading north from Sunshine Coast, QLD in late March with an eye on the weather. Rough plan is Darwin in June/July and Exmouth by November. We are pretty keen to get out to Scott Reef on the way through. We are sailing on a Fountaine Pajot, Lipari 41. Its a cruising catamaran. Currently spending time cruising between Sunshine Coast and northern NSW.
Frank & Marianne
SV Barbarossa 1
- This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Barbarossa.
18/02/2019 at 3:42 pm #2846
Steve Spot OnParticipant
We are planning to leave Mackay late April / early May 2019 and cruise around the top, have a re stock in Darwin and end up at Honeymoon Bay for the months of July and August or more. Then slowly cruise back to Darwin.
18/02/2019 at 8:25 pm #2847
This is Russell&Vickie we are sailing to the kimberley this March/april 2019
on our 48′ crowther cat WILDTHING . Leaving Mindarie late March for the
Abrolhos,Sharkbay,Carnarvon and the Montebellos on the way
18/02/2019 at 10:45 pm #2848
Casuarina, Samantha and Moon Mist all leaving Port Douglas far North Queensland around 1st week of May 20019 heading to Darwin and onto the Kinderleys. Hope to meet up with you all.
20/02/2019 at 12:08 pm #2849
I will be taking my 6m centrecab, SeaCow, around the kimberly coast. Leaving Wyndham April 9th and arriving in Derby about a month later. If i can get the car and trailer transported by road otherwise i might go Wyndham to cassani island and back then go from derby up the coast and back. I’ll be traveling solo and I’m sure I’ll see some of you along the way.
Having trouble actually speaking to the right people at shorebarge and paspaly regarding fuel. I have left several messages and sent emails over the last month. I’ll keep trying unless someone has any advise?
20/02/2019 at 3:58 pm #2850
Are you after ULP or diesel, and what are the quantities? If you are after relatively small amounts of fuel, they may not be interested.
Paspaley will only sell ULP in full 200 liter drums. For safety reasons, I doubt if they will pump ULP from one vessel to another. For diesel, they will only look at minimum 1000 liters at a time. In previous years Paspaley would have left drums of ULP on the beach for vessels to pick up. But I think those days might be gone, now that we have permit systems to go ashore.
Shorebarge treat fuel as just another item of freight they are carting, so I’m surprised they haven’t come back to you. Petrol will be 200 liter drums, and I assume they would want to unload the drums ashore at West Bay for you to pick up from there. Diesel they will pump from the barge into your vessel’s tanks.
Another option for drums of fuel is to contact Honeymoon Bay Camping Ground in Napier Broome Bay. They get their fuel delivered by truck from Kununurra. You can arrange the trucking company to deliver it to Honeymoon in advance and they will store it for you for a fee.
If you are leaving from Derby, you will get fuel from Dog Leg Creek.
But from Wyndham you will be reliant on Shorebarge, Paspaley or Honeymoon.
If you are doing the full Kimberley coast from Derby to Wyndham, be certain of your route and fuel range. That’s a big trip in a 6M boat.
Pick your weather carefully if heading out to Casini Island. The anchorage is exposed to the east. You might be able to get inside the fringing reef on the west side in a 6M boat if you cop a strong easterly breeze, but don’t rely on it.
21/02/2019 at 9:28 am #2851
I will keep trying to contact them. It will be a minimum of 400L of ULP from both shorebarge in the Truscott area and Paspaley in the kuri bay area.
Thanks for the advise, I have a good idea of what I’m up against.
26/02/2019 at 10:46 am #2859
Ross , is R&R currently sitting on the hard at Boatworks ?
I recall following that boat during its build blog , considered purchasing her last time she was up for sale , great boat
The Kimberley is a few years away for us unfortunately
27/02/2019 at 3:54 pm #2862
Hi Shane, Yes I think the owners of my previous R&R are getting some work done at the Boat Works before she heads back to Cairns for the dry season. My new R&R is in Darwin.
09/03/2019 at 7:11 pm #2910
we will be leaving Two Rocks in mid-April aboard Cosmic Drift , an 11m Schionning sailing cat, headed to Darwin by early July. Stops include Abroholos, Shark Bay, Montebellos, Dampier, Broome, Kimberley’s.
This is our first major adventure. The boat has outboard motors so we too have the problem of finding/carrying enough ULP for the Kimberley section. Hoping that someone may want to do a joint order with us??? Our email is [email protected]
Liz & Mike
18/03/2019 at 7:23 am #2912
Hi, we are heading up to Broome and then on to the Kimberley mid April. Leaving from Perth. we have a Lagoon 470 thats looking forward to leaving the jetty.
does anyone have any insurance company advice, as i have had a bad run out of Pantanius.
18/03/2019 at 1:14 pm #2913
Hi Cliff, Try QBE.
Be aware that most insurers now require you to get their written authority for cover if you sail above the 26th parallel.
Also, many insurers do not cover boats that are based in the NT. Pantanius and QBE are 2 that I’m aware of that insure NT based boats. Club Marine don’t. This may apply to southern based vessels that are left in Darwin over the wet season.
28/03/2019 at 5:23 pm #2939
Greetings Ross, hope to shack your hand on the 4th.July, Palm Is, to Thankyou for this CLUB, absolutely brilliant work. I’m a new member, joined today, and haven’t put the iPad down since. Our mod of transport is a Schionning Wildness 1100, the good SV “Cetacea”. Other aim, is to weigh anchor on the 5th April, out of Mangles Bay Rockingham, out of FSC 7th then to the annual party. Party Party Party people, hope to bump into at the right time of day…..back to Uncle Dans again. Cheers
29/03/2019 at 9:31 am #2941
Thanks for the positive feedback Colin. Also, I will take that as a tentative RSVP to the 4th July Beach Party and add your name to the list of people coming. No pressure though.
28/03/2019 at 5:32 pm #2940
Annabel, Paul and Rose great to see your “Living the Dream”, where are you? Please.
29/03/2019 at 12:51 pm #2943
Hi Colin this is rose and Paul on the Arabella,
Were at the port Denison marina until Saturday 30th March and heading over to the Abrolhos for a couple of weeks. We were really happy with the sail up here and look forward to the next leg of our trip.
29/03/2019 at 5:43 pm #2944
Terrific thank you Rose, with a high degree of probability, we’ll meet in the Abrolhos, cheers.
01/04/2019 at 10:00 pm #2945
Hi Ross, Thanks for the great site enjoy to meet up at your place.
We are planing to leave in company from Wyndham around early June then down to Derby around end September this winter 19. Busy getting set up with fuel food and spare parts. Look forward to catching the some of boats as we pass.
04/04/2019 at 3:07 pm #2949
We are planning to sail from Darwin to the Berkeley River in early May 2019, if the weather lets us. We have SV Red Knot, a 40ft Dephia which draws 2.2m
Latest information about the entrance to the Berkeley would be greatly appreciated, we heard that last year it was a lot easier to get in & out of the entrance….
Bob & Shaz
Cullen Bay Marina
05/04/2019 at 9:58 am #2950
Hi Shaz, We will be there in about 10 days, and back in Darwin about 1st May. I’ll check the way points into the Berkeley if I get a chance and let you know. One the KCCYC members has just returned from that area. I’ll ask him how the Berkeley bar was and come back here if I get any further info.
I’ll also post here in the next few days for the current way points for the King George bar. They are from a KCCYC Member who entered the KG in the last few days.
05/04/2019 at 1:05 pm #2952
The word from someone who has been over the Berkeley entrance in the past few weeks is that it seems it little shallower than past years and that the route in has not changed.
05/04/2019 at 4:12 pm #2954
Thanks for the updates Ross,
I look forward to getting the latest Berkeley depths and waypoints if you get a chance.
We went to KG last June and only had about 300mm clearance at the shallowest point close to high tide. It was so beautiful to have the yacht in the gorge for a few days
07/04/2019 at 12:06 pm #2968
We are heading north towards the end of April, via the Abrolhas, Shark Bay, Exmouth and onto the Kimberleys. Plan to be heading to the Kimberleys in June and will return to Exmouth area by September. Boat is called Ngalla Maya and will have two of us onboard. First time to the Kimberley region.
28/04/2019 at 12:32 pm #2988
Giday ross dave and marcia s v Spiritofsherry after our 3rd attempt we finally made it 10 nm out cape leveque migjt catch up at beach party regards dave stuart
07/05/2019 at 4:00 pm #3001
Thanks Dave, Your names on the RSVP list for the party. Hope you can make it.
29/04/2019 at 7:22 am #2991
So far so good had a few rough days and night from Perth to Dirk Hartog, then only 6hrs wind from Carnarvon. We are at Tandabidi fishing until wind picks up.
Could not ask for better weather ! Just wind.
02/05/2019 at 7:26 am #2992
Hi there! I’m a new member and joined as my partner and I have a strong desire to do some cruising along the Kimberley coast in our 21ft GRP cuddy.
It’s early days yet and have not made any definitive plans as to exactly when we want go, but are just researching and gathering information at this stage.
Although I am fairly familiar with the Kimberley having spent 4 years working in mineral exploration and mining up there, I’m not too familiar with the waters. I have done a lot of 4WDing and camping in the area, just no boating.
Some of the challenges and questions that immediately come to mind are;
- suitability of my boat – fibreglass, 21ft half cabin/cuddy. 210 litre fuel tank (considering having a custom made fuel bladder made to fit the kill tank)
- range – rough average fuel economy 1 kilometre per litre
- security for car and trailer while away
- Tides and currents
- obtaining fresh water – 20 litre onboard tank
- cost! Particularly in relation to fuel drops. Can imagine there would be an understandable high premium to pay for the convenience
- inexperience with the waters and local conditions.
There are many other things to consider (communications, reserve power supply, provisions etc, etc) but I am hoping that with the help of guidance and assistance from KCCYC members my partner and I can turn this idea into a reality.
So, ANY information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Andrew & Masayo
02/05/2019 at 7:43 am #2993
I’ve just joined as we are heading up to the Kimberley’s from Fremantle in our 48ft Ron Given Catermaran “Playground”. Leaving early June and taking about 4 weeks to get there then a month or so up there before the return home mid August. Planning in full swing now!
16/06/2019 at 9:52 am #3024
Steve Spot OnParticipant
Update for Spot On, we are currently anchored at Horn Island and will head off across the Gulf midweek, the weather is supposed be on our side with a full moon. we plan to drop into Gove then head to Darwin. After a big stock up we will cruise to the Kimberley catching up with friends and family at Honeymoon Bay WA.
Hope to catch up with others enjoying this beautiful part of our country,
Steve and Stephanie
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.