Forum Replies Created
We are lucky to have someone to clarify these conflicting answers for us. I was confused to say the least. See you out there up the rivers!
I spoke to Dominica at ALPS re my rejected permit application 10 minutes age. Access to Berkeley and King George Rivers is closed.
NOT just the land access. I specifically asked if I could just sail up to see the falls and not go ashore. She said NO.
She told me to go to Balanggarra.com.au and ask them how to arrange permission. Use web info form or via their email address.
You and Ross are correct.
I have information in an email from ALT lands Officer regarding ALPS permits saying that given my departure date from Darwin of start May, I should apply for ALPS permits at end of March / early April.
Hi Infinity skipper and crew;
Thanks for your thoughts.
My yacht is currently in Darwin. I don’t like the idea of attempting the sail upwind back to Victoria via the east coast and I’ve waited a long time to sail the Kimberley Coast. I’m 73 years old. I don’t want to spend all of 2022 in Darwin waiting in hope for permits in 2023. I feel I have to sail to Perth next season and if that means not going ashore anywhere in the Kimberley then sadly that’s what I’ll have to do. However, I will need to refuel with ULP. Hopefully from the Shorelands barge in West Bay and at Dog Leg Creek.
I agree there will probably be restrictions on entry to Aboriginal communities. And ‘cruising’ the area in the normal sense of going ashore to see the sights with an ALT permit and purchased visitor Passes from Wunambal Gaamera, Dambimangari and the Department of Parks & Wildlife may be restricted or not permitted at all.
I am very concerned about what I can do next year and I need to be sure I understand. Please tell me if you have a different opinion.
PS I sailed along the Arnhem Coast this year but not permitted ashore.
OK. Think I’ve got it.
On closer look, the application system says which locations require a permit, which don’t require a permit and which they will not permit access to.
The last 9 locations on my list (and Jar Is.) either don’t require a permit or no access is permitted to the location.
Hi Ross & Everyone here;
I don’t want to wear out my welcome but I have another question or two.
I’ve been on the ALT site and tried to match their site names with places on my route. There are many places I will anchor and perhaps go ashore that do not have a site name on the ALT “Places of Interest” list. Just to name two, Silver Gull Creek and Dog Leg Creek.
If I can arrange to re-fuel at West Bay do I need a permit for West Bay if I don’t need to go ashore?
Does my first draft list look reasonable or nuts? Have I missed key stops? Am I asking for to many permit locations? Am I asking to go to ‘no-go’ locations?
Berkeley River Falls/Gorge
King George Falls
DC3 WWII crash site
Ngula (Jar Island) #2 South West
Mitchell Estuary Upstream
Wuuyuru (Bigge Island)
Wunbung-gu (Careening Bay) ‘Mermaid/Boab Tree’
Banjadoo (Camp Creek Falls)
Banjadoo (Rock Art)
Ngumbirri (Raft Point)
Ngumbirri Cave (Art Site)
What an encouraging and detailed reply. I thank you so much for going to the trouble of writing down all your thoughts and advice. I feel much more confident about plans for sailing the KC next year.
I sailed my catamaran Sundowner from Paynesville on the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria from March 2021 up the east coast to Cullen Bay Marina in Darwin at the end of August. Spent September and October on land exploring Darwin and surrounds. My Seawind 1000 XL2 doesn’t have A/C and by the end of October I’d had enough of the heat and humidity and flew back home to Melbourne. I may regret that decision come time to sail to the Kimberley next May. I think I will be allowed to fly back to Darwin but I have no idea if WA Covid rules will be permit me to sail on down to Perth.
And worry number two is ULP fuel. My boat has twin outboard motors. I planned to take on 200L of ULP at McGowan Island camp. And another 200L at Dog Leg Creek. But McGowan Island fuel supply is no longer available and I have no back up plan. I have lots of time to explore the Kimberly so expected to use quite a lot of ULP (motoring, dinghy, water maker, generator). I would really appreciate any information on the plans for availability of ULP next season.
And, will we be permitted to go ashore at any interesting locations along the Kimberly Coast? Or will all permits be rejected as were all my requests for permits to go shore on the Arnhem Coast.