2.4m rib with 6hp outboard- is this ok for the Kimberleys?

Exit Forum Forums Kimberley Coast Boating Forum. How to use the Forum. 2.4m rib with 6hp outboard- is this ok for the Kimberleys?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      teedrk
      Participant

Hi, we have a 2.4m Highfield with a 6hp 2 stroke outboard. Will this be ok for the Kimberleys. Have read in various formums that a rib over 3m is recommended. Why is this- stability, speed (dependant on motor size)? MTIA.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by teedrk.
      Ross
      Keymaster

Hi Guys. Small RIBS and big crocs are not a good mix. If a croc decides to chew on your 2.4 RIB while you are in it, you are in big trouble.

Cheers, Ross

teedrk
        Participant

Many thanks Ross. Does the 600mm for a 3m rib make it significantly safer if a croc takes a bite? Sorry- what am I missing? Clearly thick!!

Ross
      Keymaster

When it comes to safety in dinghies with crocs, the bigger the dingy the better. You don’t want a big croc to see you as an easy target in a small dingy. I wouldn’t feel safe in a 3M RIB either and would be very wary about how far and where I went in the KC in a small RIB. It is likely you will come across crocs that are over twice the length of your 2.4M RIB. Then you will understand what I mean. If a reasonable size croc attacks a small RIB, it will tear it apart in seconds if it wants to..

Much of the fun in the KC is exploring many miles of creeks and rivers in a tender. If you don’t take a decent tender, (preferable not an inflatable) you will miss the best places, because after you come across your first big croc at close quarters in a tiny tender, you probably wont want the experience again.

You might be lucky enough to sail the whole KC without any trouble from crocs, but speaking from lots of KC experience and meeting plenty of people over the years who have regretted taking small RIBS to the KC, my advice is – don’t take the risk.

Cheers, Ross

teedrk
      Participant

Many thanks Ross- guess I’m going shopping

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.