17/04/2019 at 8:31 am #2987
We have just completed our 5th trailerboat trip from Derby to the Buccaneer Archipelago. There are a few things that may be helpful to other travellers. There is not much water available around the coast this year as most of the waterfalls are dry or close to it however water is still available from Silvergull Creek although nobody maintains the hose now so may not be available in the future. Croc Creek is still running so water can be obtained there. Fuel is available from Cockatoo Island this year, Call “Cockatoo Island on Ch 16 and give Mick 15 minutes to get down to the jetty. 6m of tide will give you about 1.5m of water at the jetty. The JAYAR and the ROBERT LADLOW Barges are pretty full on carting freight to Koolan Island so probably won’t be available to purchase fuel from, but they are moored out the front of Dogleg Creek infrequently and do have a couple of drums of ULP each and Diesel. Hope this info is helpful to someone.
27/05/2019 at 9:21 am #3007
I am hoping you might be able to put me on the right track.
We are currently organizing things for our trip leaving Derby on about the 25th July and going as far as Sale river. I have been through the Permit site and it looks like we will need a separate permit for all the places in between we want to visit e.g; Cone bay, Crocodile creek, Talbot bay Montgomery reef, Sale river etc etc. Is this correct or is there one permit that will cover the area that i want to travel in.
02/06/2019 at 10:44 am #3009
Hi Glenn, Unfortunately, you are correct about applying for individual permits on the ALT website. Last count, there were 72 individual permits required if you want to cover the coast in a boat between Broome and Wyndham. A few months back I complained to the ALT and the 2 main Aboriginal Community Corporations affected by the permit system. All 3 agreed that the system is cumbersome and difficult to use.
The ALT are looking at ways of improving the software system, which is apparently designed around 4WD’ers. If you’ve been through the process, and achieved a good result, well done!! It is a difficult and time consuming exercise in frustration.
A small beneficial result was achieved by me complaining. Lucy at the ALT came back to me with the following.
“You will also be pleased to know, using your feedback we have created a reserve group location which covers the Kimberley Coast Marine Access Only. This is called “Kimberley Coast Marine Access Only” and can be selected on our map by selecting region > Kimberley > Kimberley Coast Marine Access Only. This will make it easier in the future for both commercial and individual travellers will find using our system a lot easier so we thank you for your feedback.”
To get to the “MAP” referred to above, go here and click on the Interactive Map link https://www.dplh.wa.gov.au/information-and-services/online-services/entry-permits-for-access-to-aboriginal-lands
An alternative might be to phone Lucy at the ALT and ask her to help you get the permits you require. That’s what I did in the end.
Good luck with the permit application and happy sailing.
- This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Ross.
02/06/2019 at 4:37 pm #3012
Thanks for the feedback, we have fumbled our way through the Permit system and submitted 26 Permit applications just for the area we want to cover.
Ended up using the Region tab which made it easier to identify which permits we needed. We still had to input 26 individual applications.
The system could be made a lot easier if you could apply for the Regions
code number that would cover all individual Permits in that area.
Oh well it is submitted, just waiting on approval.
Kind Regards Glenn
09/06/2019 at 4:27 pm #3014
I feel your pain Glenn. I just went through the same thing with permits last month. We’re launching at Derby around the same time (24th June) as you and heading up as far as the Sale as well. Might see you on the water.
10/06/2019 at 8:27 am #3016
Just doubling up here. Replying to your Post.
What a shame we are launching in July not June, would have been great to meet up on this trip somewhere, have your Permits turned up yet ?.
Hoping you Guys have a safe journey
10/06/2019 at 8:03 am #3015
What a shame we are launching in July not June, would have been great to meet up on this trip somewhere, have your Permits turned up yet ?
23/06/2019 at 6:20 am #3027
Hey Glenn. Ah bugger! never mind. Yeah permits only took about 2 weeks to come through after all the BS of figuring out how to apply for them. We just arrived in derby and will hit the water the day after tomorrow. I’ll be loading some trip notes at https://buccaneerbound.blogspot.com which might be useful for your planning. If you wanna chat afterwards chuck a comment here or in the blogspot and we’ll talk.
24/06/2019 at 9:56 am #3029
Good on you Guys. had a quick look at your blog, hope the D-max is going well, stay safe, definitely chat when you get back good luck have fun
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.